Tag Archives: Christmas Cookies
This was originally posted on 8 December 2009, for the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories.
Today, Genea Bloggers asks the following questions on the Advent Calender of Christmas Memories:
Did your family or ancestors make Christmas Cookies? How did you help? Did you have a favorite cookie?
Did we ever! I love Christmas cookies. My maternal Grandma, Ida, used to bake a few different types of cookies.
- Spritz cookies are small sugar cookie that is put through a cookie press and topped with candy sprinkles! These are my favorite.
- Ice box Cookies are a small cookie as well, I believe they are a brown sugar base with some chopped walnuts in them. The dough is rolled up in wax paper and frozen. When you are ready for cookies, take them out of the freezer, unroll, cut and bake. Yummy!
After Grandma passed away the cookie making was turned over to my Aunt Betty. I would spend Thanksgiving weekend with her. We would decorate the house and start the cookie making. She also made the Spritz and Ice box cookies, but also made many more.
- Laurie’s cookies are made with graham crackers, walnuts and brown sugar
- Sugar cookies with cookie cutters that were then frosted
- Rice Krispie treats were turned into little wreaths with Red Hots as the holly
- FUDGE (best part of the holidays), there were many, many tins of fudge
My favorites to bake are the Spritz cookies and then Peanut Butter Blossom’s which have the Hershey Kiss center.